Academic Affairs Committee
September 10, 2002
This is a bulletin from the Academic Affairs Committee
concerning proposed curriculum actions. Within the next 10
days, please forward any comments or concerns to the AAC
Chair, Helen Biblehimer, Elliott Hall 203, ext.
A faculty member has submitted a
Practical Portfolio General Education Assessment plan for
This proposal plus any others submitted by faculty for
consideration will be discussed at the Faculty Assembly to
be held on September 20, 2002 at 3:30.
SINCE THIS ASSESSMENT PLAN WILL AFFECT ALL WHO TEACH
GENERAL EDUCATION COURSES IT IS STRONGLY SUGGESTED THAT YOU
READ EACH ASSESSMENT PLAN CAREFULLY.
2. Practical Portfolio - method
- In each GE course instructors will identify
one or more artifacts which will demonstrate program
learning outcomes for the particular block.
- Instructors will identify students who have not
transferred any credits into Mansfield, and are
completing the block requirement with this course.
(Instructors should ask students to indicate these facts
on the artifact).
- Instructors will select a random sample of
appropriate artifacts which received a grade of A through
F (maximum 5 artifacts).
- Copies of the artifacts from which the instructor and
student names have been removed will be maintained in a
department file, until the end of the semester, at which
time they will be sent to the provost's office for
storage, and eventual review by the GE assessment
- Department chairs will monitor the submission of
artifacts instructors teaching GE courses.
- Instructors select the artifacts, thus verifying that
the student did take the course, and they control the
selection of the artifact, rather than leaving it up to
- The artifact represents one or more of the program
learning outcomes for the block as defined by the
- The artifact represents student learning at the
completion of the block.
to Mansfield University Senate Home Page
Back to Mansfield University Home Page