Academic Affairs Committee
November 10, 2002
This is a bulletin from the Academic Affairs Committee
concerning proposed curriculum actions. Within the next 10
days, please forward any comments or concerns to the AAC
Chair, Helen Biblehimer, Elliott Hall 203, ext.
Department of Biology has requested the following curricular change:
Action: Program Change: BSE Biology
Rationale for change:
- The Biology BSE has to reduce its credit hours to 126 to comply
with SSHE mandates. Biology education is one of the programs that
have a waiver from the 120-credit rule.
- SSHE guidelines permit Professional programs to alter general
education requirements to accommodate professional and accreditation
requirements. Based on this guideline, the general education requirements
have been adjusted to meet the allotted number of credit hours (126);
thus the reduction by four hours to the general education requirements.
- HST 2201 or 2202 is no longer required for certification.
- Another English course is required for education certification.
- MA 1125 is a three credit course and MA 2231 is a four credit
course and two math courses are required for certification; ergo,
the placing of MA 2231 in the gen ed electives block.
- The placement of Educational Psychology into the Social Science
block helps to make the move to 126 credits possible. The adolescent
psychology component required for certification will be added to
- Botany's move to the general education block is to limit the
number of courses to fill Group IV to two and to adjust the number
of credits to more closely match the six-credit max.
- The elimination of adolescent psychology or life span development
is necessary to adjust the credit hours to 126. The material needed
for certification offered by these courses will be added to ed psych.
- The independent study (BI 4497)is needed to match the BSE degree
to the BS degree according to PDE directives. Also the National
Science Teachers Association wants biologists to engage in independent
scientific investigation for accreditation purposes.
- The education department changed the number of this course (SPE
3275) and this change makes that correction.
List all changes:
- Change the number of credits required for the Biology BSE degree
from 130 to 126.
- Reduce the number of credits required in General Education from
55 to 51 by reducing the number of wellness credits required from
3 to 2 and the number of credits in Group I and Group II from 12
to 9; the student will be able to chose which of these two blocks
has 6 credits and which has only 3 credits.
- Eliminate the requirement of HST 2201 or 2202 from Group I.
- Add a requirement for an English literature course under Group
- Require only MA 1125 Statistics under Group III.
- Require ED 2205 Educational Psychology under Group V instead
of the Professional Education Block.
- Move MA 2231 Calculus I to the General Education Electives block
from Group III.
- Move BI 1130 Botany to the General Education Electives block
from Group IV.
- Eliminate the requirement of PSY 3321 Adolescent Psychology or
PSY 3290 Life
- Add 1 credit of BI 4497 Independent Study to the biology requirements.
- Change the number of Inclusion of Diverse Learners from SPE 252
to SPE 3275.
to Mansfield University Senate Home Page
Back to Mansfield University Home Page