Academic Affairs Committee
Jan. 29th, 2010
This is a bulletin from the Academic Affairs Committee concerning proposed curricular actions. Please forward any comments or concerns in the next 10 days to the AAC chair, Jeffrey Bossworth , 206 Pinecrest Manor, ext. 4762.
1. NEW COURSE: PSY 3309: STEREOTYPING AND PREJUDICE
Purpose and Nature of Course: This course focuses on social psychological research examining stereotyping, prejudice, and discrimination. A social psychological approach examines those characteristics of individuals and social contexts that contribute to these phenomena. Students will also explore some of the psychological consequences of stereotyping and prejudice for their victims. To accomplish this goal, students will read empirical and theoretical works and examine real-world phenomena with the goal of understanding the various ways that stereotype and prejudice can impact intergroup relations.
Prefix: PSY Number: 3309 CIP:__________________
Course Title: Stereotyping and Prejudice
Abbreviated Title (for Master Schedule), Maximum 20 spaces
Stereo & Prejudice
Credits (Place number of credits beside appropriate types)
Credit(s) 3 Undergraduate
Course Description for Catalog (limit to four sentences):
This course addresses social psychological research examining stereotyping, prejudice, and discrimination. Attention is focused on the development, maintenance, use, and reduction of prejudice and stereotypes. The impact and psychological consequences of stereotyping and prejudice for their victims also are examined.
Prerequisites: (Courses which MUST be completed prior to taking this course) PSY 1101
2. COURSE DELETION: NURSING
NUR 4430: COMMUNICATIONS IN NURSING
Rationale for deletion: Has not been taught in over five years.
3. COURSE DELETIONS: HEALTH SCIENCES
· HPE 1107- Beginning Billiards
· HPE 1116-Soccer / Basketball
· HPE 1125 Field Hockey / Racquetball
· HPE 1134 Billiards
· HPE 1149 Lifeguarding
· HPE 1150 Senior Lifesaving
· HPE 1151 Advanced Badminton
· HPE 2225 Water Safety Instruction
· HPE 3310 P.E. for the Exceptional Child
· HPE 3341 Advanced First Aid/CPR
· HPE 3350 Teaching Methods of Elem. HPE
Rationale for deletion: In compliance with the mandate from the provost office, these courses are being deleted due to non-offering during the past 5 years.
4. COURSE DELETIONS: MATH & CIS
· MA 3326 Analysis of Variance and Design of Experiments
· MA 3327 Statistical Process Quality Control
· MA 3332 Applied Combinatorics
Rationale for deletion: Courses have not been offered recently, and there are no plans to offer them in the future.